If you are wondering how to start a travel blog, you have come to the right place. With blogging, you have the opportunity to educate, inspire, and entertain your readers, and as you grow older you start to make money.
While most people think that travel blogging is time consuming and intimidating, you can’t go wrong with it. In this article, we walk you through the steps to start a travel blog.
1. Choose a blogging platform.
First of all, you need to select a blogging platform to publish your travel content. There are several sites to consider that can help you start a professional looking blog. With fairly simple platforms offering you free web templates to choose from, you can customize your site and adjust it according to the needs of your target audience.
Since all of the templates are fully customizable, you can easily start your blogging journey by opening the template and playing around with the different layouts until you find what you want. You can edit images, delete sections, change the site name, etc. The options are endless.
Go for a template that reflects the idea of your blog topic and reflects the mood you want to create.
Always choose a design that you like.
In case you were wondering, starting a travel blog is free.
2. Select a hosting platform
Once you have chosen your blogging platform, you need to choose a hosting platform. This stores your website on a server under a unique address and allows visitors to find you. When choosing a hosting platform, you can take into account the bandwidth, availability, and customer support offered.
Once you’ve selected a blogging platform and hosting provider, you can think about what you want to write about.
In that case, you already know you want to write about travel.
3. Choose a blog name and domain.
You might be wondering what the best name for your travel blog is. However, you can come up with a name that will appeal to your audience, one that reflects what you are writing about.
Once decided, go ahead and choose your domain name which will be influenced by the name of your travel blog.
4. Brainstorm travel topics
Technically, your travel blog is almost ready to go, so you need to think about what topics you want to delve into and share.
Think about the ideas you want to share, the successes, and the crucial travel elements. As you figure this out, try to get into the minds of your target audience. Think about what they are excited to know and how you can help solve a problem.
5. Write your first blog post.
With the above ideas in mind, you’re ready to get started on writing your first blog. Start by researching the ideal keywords. This increases your chances of your blog appearing in search engine results. For example, if you want to share how to travel on a budget, you will need to target keywords like travel, budget, etc.
Since some keywords are more obvious than others, you want to narrow them down using free keyword research tools. Make sure to target this throughout your post and structure blog posts using the formats you see in the top search results for those keywords.
Remember to highlight your main points, create a blog post title, write engaging content, insert images, optimize SEO, edit and publish your travel blog.
6. Create an editorial calendar
Now that you’ve written your first travel blog post, you need to plan the rest of the month’s posts. Creation of a editorial calendar is crucial when starting a travel blog. It helps you stay consistent, hold yourself accountable, and make sure you don’t stray from your writing goals.
Readers want fresh content and you have to deliver it. Additionally, search engines evaluate how often you post to determine your website’s overall ranking.
You might be wondering how often you should have a travel blog on your site.
Generally, the more frequently you blog, the more traffic you get. There is no set standard, but you can do your best to write several times a month. It will also help you get lots of leads.
7. Promote your blog
Since you have all the information you need to create a travel blog, you have to promote it. And readers will never know about you without marketing what you are doing.
Look for creative ways to increase traffic to your site. You can use SEO, share your content on social media, create blog newsletters, write for other websites, contact an existing community, participate in question and discussion sites, invest in paid ads, and try new content formats.
8. Make money blogging
Finally, if you are looking to start a travel blog, there is a good chance that you want to make money with the same. Some of the best lucrative strategies to consider include
- Affiliate Marketing– It is one of the most common ways to make money from blogging. It’s easy to get started with this, and the amount you earn increases with experience.
- Advertising on your blog – Another way to make money blogging is to advertise on your blog. This means that you will be selling your blog ad space for advertisements. The method is reliable and you earn through pay per click. Google AdSense is one of the most trusted programs you can consider.
- Offer Paid Subscriptions – Do you know of any companies or brands that charge you to access their content? You can do this for your travel blog. While some of your blogs should be free, you can create content that readers can access through subscription plans.
- Writing Sponsored Content – Another way to make money through your travel blog is to contact, for example, travel companies. Or, as your blog grows, you need to allow brands to effortlessly reach out to you regarding sponsorship opportunities. You can write travel blogs promoting these businesses and you will get paid for the same.
- Sell Travel Articles & eBooks – You can sell items right from your site. This can include goods and products related to travel and other useful resources. Add a checkout button to allow readers to click to browse your merchandise.